June 24, 2019

Visual Studio - SQL Server Schema Compare - Target unavailable

I was using SQL Server Schema Comparison tool in Visual Studio 2017 when I faced this issue. The problem was that I selected source and target databases, and marked the Remember Password check-box for both instances.

When I click on Compare button, it was showing the error message "Target is unavailable". In the Error List tab, showing the error message:

 Unable to restore password.  Enter a password by editing the connection.

I found the following workaround fix this issue for me.

  1. From the drop-down list for target database, choose Select Target option.
  2. Select Target Schema popup will appear.
  3. Click on Select Connection button.
  4. From the History of recent connections list, right click on the target database and click Remove from History
  5. Restart Visual Studio
  6. Re-create the connection

Now compare should work without showing the above error.

No comments:

Post a Comment