Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Error while publishing LightSwitch Application - 'Web deployment task failed. (This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified.)'

I used to publish my LightSwitch application to a certain location (my folder name is 'IMS2') in wwwroot directory. I have windows 10 installed with Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate. Everything was working smoothly, until I mistakenly deleted the target folder (IMS2), after that when I try to publish LightSwitch application, it starts giving me following error:

Web deployment task failed. (This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified.) C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v11.0\Web\Microsoft.Web.Publishing.targets

After searching and multiple tries I found following two options solved my problem.

  • First, probably the account doesn't have permissions to the target folder (IMS2) you are trying to publish to. Try to publish to a different folder.
  • Second, try reordering the permissions for target folder in IIS Web Server. For this follow these steps:

    1. Open IIS Web Server and select the target website node which is being created by LightSwitch publish wizard.
    2. Right-click on it and select Edit Permissions.

    3. It opens up following dialog box, go to the Security tab, it will prompts that permissions are not incorrectly ordered. Click the OK button.

    4. Within the Security tab, Click the Edit button as shown below:

    5. It will show the following popup asking for Reorder permissions. Click on Reorder button.

    And its done, now restart your Visual Studio instance and try publish the LightSwitch application. This time it should publish your application successfully.

Monday, November 7, 2016

Crystal Reports - Arabic Text or RTL language not showing special characters in correct way.

While developing the Crystal Reports for Arabic language, I encountered the problem that if the Arabic text contains special characters like open/close parenthesis "()", square brackets "[]" or angle brackets "<>" etc., then it was not showing that text correctly while printing the reports. In this post I share what I did to fix my problem, in case if some one else encounter similar problem can benefit from.

For example, I have a text-object. Before setting this option, it was displaying text as follows:

To fix this formatting issue, please follow these steps:

  1. First right click on Text-Object and click on option "Format Object".

  2. Go to Paragraph Tab.

  3. In the Reading order section, check the option Right to Left. As shown below:

And its done. Now it should print the reports with special characters in appropriate state for RTL languages. As my text-object now display this way: